Thursday, May 17, 2012

My contribution to the Rugby World

I consider myself to be very active in the Rugby scene in Miri community. I believe that with my passion for the game and my basic knowledge of it, i should engage better and take part in the sport. However due to time constraints on my part, i was unable to attend training but i contribute what i can to the Union. There is a tournament coming up this Saturday hosted by my pride and joy, Miri Division Rugby Union, which is the Hornbill Closed 7's Tournament. The specialty of this tournament that sets it apart from other 7's tournament is that this year, we did some modification to the rules and law of the game, allowing women to take part and be in the team, playing against men. This is in conjunction with United Nations Malaysia's campaign of gender equality and also the Miri May Festival. As a Public Relations student, i was assigned to provide the press with information regarding this event and so i did. I sent out a media release containing all the information that is needed for them to publish the news. Two out of three newspapers that i approached actually published the news. 

The news article published in The Star Newspaper dated 17th May 2012.

The news article published in The Borneo Post can be read here.

I am very excited for the upcoming tournament and everyone is invited to come. 

Cheers.

3 comments:

  1. Wow your article came out of the news paper. Hope it gives encouragement that the ladies can play rugby also in miri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its great for the club get recognition from the local communities in Miri. Not only the club but the game itself. Its a good start to attract the communities to join the game especially the ladies. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually wrote this on behalf of the Miri Division Rugby Union. It so happens that i included Curtin Rugby Club's name in it. but yes, i am proud of the Curtin ruggers. :)

      Delete